Wednesday, June 10, 2015

What's on your hook? Joan's arm warmers

At our May meeting, we learned all about using variegated yarn in crochet projects and members brought in both completed and work-in-progress items made with a variety of variegates. Joan brought in one of the most interesting projects, still in progress, so it seemed the perfect "on the hook" story.

Joan, this yearn is lovely! Can you tell us more about it?
I thought it was lovely too - it's yarn I found at an LYS in Port Townsend WA while I was visiting one of my daughters. The shop is called Bazaar Girls Yarn Shop & Fibre Emporium; they carry a wide variety of locally spun and dyed yarns and this yarn is one of those so it's not a national brand.
Note: In the class, we learned that yarn is a wonderful example of a special spinning technique called fractal spinning.



What are you making with the yarn?

I'm making hand-warmers, from the Tussie-Mussie Arm Warmers pattern by Yumiko Alexander, found in Interweave Crochet Accessories 2011 magazine.

I did have to make a modification to the pattern to get the colors to work. Because the color repeats are so long, I could tell I wasn't going to like the result if I made continuous motifs like the pattern was written. So I am making each motif separately and then will join them together in a color sequence that I like.


How in the world are these little circles going to end up making a hand warmer?
I know, it is a very unusual pattern, Let me show you how the construction works. The warmers are for my daughter but my hand is close enough in size to hers that I can be the model.









Joan, this is a wonderful example of using variegated yarns, we can't wait to see the finished result!