Friday, November 28, 2014

Roving Crochet Reporter: 2014 Do And Dye


In early November, two of our Crochet Twin Cities members  attended the Do and Dye event at the Textile Center of Minnesota. Here is Theresa's recap of the event - and it sure sounds like fun! I think a lot of us will want to put this one on our calendars for next year.

I was so excited about going to the 2014 Do and Dye at the Textile Center of Minnesota.   It was even better when I found out Julie would be going with me.  Since I work right on the Green Line, Julie met  me and we took the light rail down University to the Textile Center.  It was great not having to worry about where we would park! 
Now we just had to decide which of the many projects we would try first. After checking things out, we went first to the Minnesota Contemporary Quilter’s table to make our own magnets.  I chose to use a technique that added a foil butterfly to the cloth and Julie used pieces of cloth to create her own unique magnet.


Next, we tried polymer clay table.  When given the choice of making a flower or a butterfly, I naturally went with the butterfly.   I was able to choose my colors (purple, yellow & pink, with green accents for the wings)  and work the clay.  Within a half hour (or so) wound up with Julie had made a flower and I had a beautiful butterfly to take home and bake.


There were so many fun projects to try, that Julie and I went our separate ways and so we could different things. There was a lot to choose from a woven bracelet project from the Machine Knitter's Guild, needle felting and printing on fabric, to name just a few.  I did purchase raffle tickets for some of the baskets; it would have been fun to win a free polymer class or any of the other wonderful prizes.  

Working with colored glass to make a fused glass hanging was an interesting opportunity to play with shapes and colors in  a way that that is very different from crochet.  We had to wait a few days to pick up the fired, finished product from the studio. But seeing how it all worked out was worth the wait!




All in all, it was a great evening, with the opportunity to try a variety of crafts and bring home projects that will make some nice gifts and mementos.  The Next year, CTC hopes to have our own table with a make & take project, again!  Either way, I am thinking of making this an annual event.