At this month's meeting, we'll have two separate sessions, one for beginning Tunisian-ers and for intermediate/advanced Tunisian-ers. The beginner's group will learn basics about Tunisian, including the Tunisian simple stitch while the advanced group will tackle more advanced stitches and techniques. Everyone can then use their new-found skills to start a bag like the one shown (with some cool variations for the intermediate/advanced group). The bag pattern will be provided as part of handouts for everyone who attends.
The meeting will be Saturday January 10 at the Textile Center of Minnesota, 3000 University Ave SE, Minneapolis, with the following schedule:.
- 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM - Open Crochet
- 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM - Show n Tell and Business
- 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM - Tunisian Crochet
You will need to bring the following materials to this meeting:
- An ounce or two of your favorite weight yarn; the bag is the picture is make with bulky yarn (#5 in the Craft Yarn Council system). Light to medium solid colors are always best when learning a new technique - it's best to steer clear of dark solids and multi-colored yarns.
- A hook that's two to four sizes larger than you'd normally use for this yarn; Tunisian, by its nature, makes a tighter fabric so larger hooks are required. A Tunisian hook is not required; the rows on the bag are short enough that you can use a regular hook (one without a thumb rest works best) if you do not have a Tunisian hook.