Saturday, April 8, 2023

Not your Grandma's Granny Square by Susi of lsanti Stitch & Chat

I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of the granny square. As a young teen, I made my one and only traditional granny square blanket from a kit. I didn't have the internet, or any other "hookers" to consult. My grandmother lived 100s of miles away, and this was back in the day of expensive long distance phone calls. That blanket didn't even last a year before it just started falling apart. I've had 40 years of experience since then and many "aha moments" regarding my mistakes, but I have never attempted it again. I've dabbled with small projects involving granny squares or variations. When I heard we were having a class on the granny, I wondered what I might get out of it. 

I should have known; CTC provided an instructor who is a regular granny genius! Suzie came all the way from Isanti to show us how to make a better granny square.  I can't give away her secrets, but I can tell you that I might actually consider making a granny square afghan with her Join As You Go (JAYGO), invisible joins and other tips and tricks for making a granny square that is not your Granny's square. Don't take my word for it though, ask any one of the 18 members who attended our April second-Saturday meeting in St. Paul.

Several members wore their hexagon cardis mentioned in the last blog, Marissa wore a too-die-for free-form shawl (picture below from Ravelry) and Peggy showed off a GORGEOUS shawl she finished from the March Solomon Stitch meeting.  There were lots of other projects to ooh and ah over as well, my failure to mention each one is not meant to diminish any of them.  I have to start remembering to take pictures for future blogs!  Please send your project photos to ctclist@gmail.com and I will share them in future blogs.  Otherwise, I may borrow a picture from Ravelry or Facebook.

We had a lot to talk about too.  We're making plans for fall education and looking into options for a fun outing.  We touched base on the Yarn Shop Hop plans (space still available), the June Fiber Arts retreat (space available) and more.  You can reach out to Theresa if you are interested in either, or email: ctclist@gmail.com.  A quick reminder that May will be a board meeting month, and members are welcome to stay and participate.

The CGOA has announced the 2023 Chapter Challenge - Crochet Guild of America (CGOA).   Connect with Nancy S. to report your soap sack counts through June 23.  Counts will need to be reported monthly, you can find details for the project on the CGOA website. Feel free to get started and we'll get you additional details as needed.

May your yarn never tangle, your hooks never break, and your fingers never cramp! Theresa