Monday, November 20, 2023

Every year, I am grateful for Crochet Twin Cities.

It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is this week. The holiday season is upon us. As hectic and stress-inducing as it can be, this time of year also offers the opportunity to find much joy.  Saturday at our destash was a perfect example: I love it when I can make people smile and I saw more than a few smiles today.  I am so thankful for a successful destash and all of the members who helped make it happen! 

The amount of yarn passing through the destash just never fails to amaze me.  Words don't do the event justice, so I'm just going to give you bunches of pictures while I give you information on a few items of note.  I like to do this thing where I put the "important" stuff in amongst my musings - so you'll have to read through to the end to get the most important bits, but if you skip to the end...you might miss something. *Power goes straight to my head!

Firstly, the 4th Saturday meeting this weekend will be at Rosedale Mall this weekend.  We'll be on the lower level, SW entrance D (Fairview side).  If you're familiar with the mall, it's where the Burger King had been located.  We hope you can find time to join us for a break during the holiday / shopping season.   

Did you miss the destash?  Maybe you were there, but you didn't get one of the coveted key fobs or magnets? Are you planning a 2024 temperature project?  If so, you are in luck! You can order swag with the 2024 CTC Swag Order Form. Print the form and bring it with your cash payment to a meeting or meet up or email your order to ctclist@gmail.com.  Note: Neither CTC nor any of it's officers or members receive compensation for these items. *If you're looking for a unique Christmas gift, there's a link on the form for What I made design's website.  

Fun story: One of our members who had received one of the fobs as a door prize, wound up giving it away on her way home.  You know this story, stop at a store, strike up a conversation over a handmade item, one thing leads to another, and CTC has a new friend, and the new friend has a new key fob.  Joy does a much better job of telling the story, but you get the idea. 

Wait...you do know this story, don't you?  It's not just me, I hope?  I know Carla's there with me. I am shameless in promoting CTC to people I meet.  I'm not one of the original members, but I joined fairly early, so I've been a member for over 10 years.   My first ever crochet retreat was with CTC members. There may have been a couple of years that I only made it to a couple of meetings (try not to ever miss the destash, though), but the group has been a touchstone for me.  

Don't forget to renew your membership for 2024 to ensure that you continue to receive the newsletter.  While you can always visit the blog, or our FB page, your best source of information is your monthly newsletter, available only with a paid membership. You can get the membership form under "About Us" and "Member Policies". Our treasurer will greatly appreciate you bringing exact change to pay your dues, as we are still a cash organization.

There will be a special guest educator for our December 2nd Saturday meeting (December 9th).  As usual, when we have a guest teaching, the meeting is open to dues-paid members only.  In addition to the supply list (recommended yarn is Red Heart Super Saver - so if you don't have any on hand, you should be able to find a substitute) for the project, the December newsletter will have the information you'll need for connecting virtually. We'll be at Highland Park Library and have a "watch party" for all members who are able to join us in person.  I'd say you can bring popcorn, but maybe something a little more crochet friendly would be better.  Of course, if my bribe paid off, there could be scones or other delicious homemade treats. 
I don't know about you, but generally speaking, there isn't enough yarn in the world to get me to the Mall of America just before Christmas.  We're cancelling the 4th Saturday meetup on December 23 and will hold a 5th Saturday meetup on December 30th instead. Details will be on the calendar and meetups are always open to the public.

2024 kicks off with Edie Eckman for our January education (Saturday, January 9, 2024). Since it's an odd number month, we'll also have a board meeting.  Members will again have the option to joining us in person at the Oxboro Library in Bloomington or virtually.  Edie's been kicking off our new year for a few years now and I'm looking forward to "A Gathering of Grannys: Seaming Methods for Granny Squares and Other Shapes".  You can check out Edie's website for class information.  Our details will be in the newsletter.  Dues must be paid on or before the date of the January meeting to receive the link or to attend in person.  

Whatever 2024 brings, I know it will be filled with fun, fiber and friends thanks to Crochet Twin Cities!   Until next time, your president, Theresa.